Thursday, May 27, 2010

Summer Reading

I think it's important to read to keep your brain fresh and to help you think about issues, people, and places that you usually wouldn't think about. I don't feel like people need to read above-level or even at-level books for this to work. Sometimes it's good to just read for enjoyment! The saddest thing to me is that so many students are turned off to reading entirely because they don't like the books they read in school. Summertime is the time to remedy that problem. I read all the books I've always wanted to read during the summer. I carefully chose the books I wanted to add for the English III summer reading list at EAHS. The one I am really excited about is Unwind by Neil Shusterman. It's a thought-provoking book about life after a second Civil War, which was fought over the issue of abortion. The book doesn't take sides in this ongoing debate but instead brings up multiple issues about the sanctity of life as well as the importance of choice and individuality. I also really liked the format and message of Crank by Ellen Hopkins but it was a little too intense for the summer reading list and has more inappropriate scenes. I recommend both for adults and older teenagers. Let me know if there are any books you read that you would like to recommend for my summer reading list!

1 comment:

cathy gaubert said...

whoa, amy. i just read an excerpt from Unwind and immediately put it on hold at the library. i can't wait to read it!
p.s. good to see you back here. my poor blog has been neglected, too, and i am trying to remedy that. :)