Friday, October 14, 2011

Teaching Moments

I was able to give an unexpected lesson on menopause the other day. I am sure the mothers of my students are all relieved. One less thing to explain and who would have thought they'd learn it in English III? I had an adorable student (girl) tell a silly boy repeatedly that she thought he was "Having menopause." Since I love this little girl and know she is a smart girl always wanting to learn more I quietly asked her if she knew what menopause was. She admitted that she didn't (clearly) and I told her the very basics. I made it clear that there was really no way our silly (male) friend was "having menopause." By this point half the class was listening attentively. Turns out they didn't know either. Now if I could only get some other adult to tell my own children about sex. I would pay not to have that discussion. I will be happy to share my morals (honor your body- it is a gift from God; this applies to all major decisions) but not the nitty gritty. It is a conversation that is long overdue but that neither of us is ready for. Give me teething and potty training any day over this next big task.

No comments: