Thursday, July 16, 2009

Control Issues: Picking Your Teacher

I have always said, rather loftily, that I wouldn't choose my child's teachers. I wanted my kids to have variety and to learn to deal with assorted personality types beyond their OCD mother. That was before I actually had the chance to choose. Some principals let other Ascension Parish teachers choose their own children's teachers. Last May I decided to take advantage of this and choose Carson's teacher for the 2008-2009 school year. Then orientation day rolled around and, lo and behold, Carson was not in the class of The Chosen Teacher. I was a little upset but, being still somewhat stunned and not my usual self after the birth of child number three, I decided not to say anything to the principal, especially since by this point I think she knew I wasn't going back to teaching that year. I am sharing this story because I know many of my Mommy Friends are like me; there is a special teacher that you have in mind and no one else will do. However, last year I learned that sometimes there is someone else just as good for your baby. Carson ended up with Mrs. Amy Sanders, who was not The Chosen Teacher. What I learned later was that she was the chosen teacher, just not chosen by me. I feel like God matched Carson and Mrs. Sanders. She was so sweet and loving and he really enjoyed and thrived in her class. She educated Carson and nurtured Carson. I am not saying that my original choice wouldn't have done this, but I am so glad that Carson had Mrs. Sanders. I will not choose my children's teachers this year nor will I ask to. I want to see who God sends us. This may be our year to get a witchy teacher (we haven't had one yet!) this may be our year to get someone who really shouldn't be in the classroom. If so, I will accept the challenge just as I have accepted our blessings. I will be excited to see how it feels to let this one OCD burden go!

No comments: